Hello all,
In today's blog post I will be talking about the prompt, "What keeps you up at night regarding your project?" I would say that, for the most part, I am very happy with the way our product has been put together. We have a TON of customer data - both through surveys we have done as well as customer data that we got from the UC Davis researchers, which justify that people would buy our product. We have also conducted good financial research to justify our P&L, as well as analyze competitor companies with similar wearables to understand what sells and what doesn't.
I would say my main concern with this product is the willingness of the subject - namely children - to wear the band. One major concern, that I have had since the beginning of the project, is the issue of privacy. Obviously this is more of a concern to older kids & adults (who would probably have the wearable uploading data to an app on their own phone, not a parent or guardian), but I still think younger children would feel uncomfortable with having their parents able to see exactly what they are seeing at every moment in the day. This is a major concern, because if the children stop wearing the product, the product will garner bad reviews and future parents will be hesitant to buy. We are trying to address this issue in our go-to-market strategy, where we have discussed different strategies for marketing (product placement in superhero movies, ads that appeal to children, etc.). It's a double edged sword - the whole point of our product is to give parents a deeper insight into their children's feelings, which they tend to keep silent. Obviously, children would show some resistance to having their parents see this information.
Ultimately, this is a valid concern, but I do not think it is something that cannot be appropriately addressed. With a strong marketing message that appeals to both kids and parents, many of these concerns should be assuaged. Additionally, the product will only fall flat in situations where kids are upset enough to defy their parents' orders and remove the wearable (which the parents would be made aware of). Given that this should theoretically be a small percent of our customer base, I have high hopes that this product would sell well, with high customer satisfaction in most cases.
Agreed on the "willingness to wear the band". Love the idea of socks. Worth testing to be sure.
ReplyDelete